BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, November 22, 2010

NBA Jam for the PS3 and Xbox 360

I just bought the new updated PS3 version of one of my all-time favorite arcade games (and Genesis ports) - NBA Jam!  It has been out for a while on the Wii which for some inexplicable reason did not offer online play (yet another shake of the head to Nintendo and the Wii) but the PS3/360 version offers online play and of course a bit of an HD facelift.  Like most sports games, two guys playing in the same room old-school style is optimal, but how often does that happen anymore? At least for people in my age-bracket - not very often. And my wife is not exactly adept at throwing down the Jam so yeah - online play capability was a requirement.

I found this trailer for the PS3/360 version below:

 

It was originally going to packaged as a free add-on with the new NBA Elite 2011 game for the PS3 and Xbox 360, but after a bug-filled demo was very poorly received and various other problems EA Sports decided to just go ahead and put NBA Jam out as a separate release on its own - which was fine by me since I didn't give a crap about Elite anyway. 

Fallguy40 also chose to get it so we tried it out last night for the first time.  I have to say - I like it!  It definitely retains the feel of the classic with the upgrades you would expect from a current-gen version. It also has several different modes of play like Smash, 21, Elimination, and a few others but those modes felt a little like they were tacked on to try and justify the $50 price point, which FG40 and I both agreed was a little steep for the game (felt more like a $30 game to me - whatever that means). I doubt I'll play the various other modes much but I haven't given up on them yet after only one night. 

There is also a career/challenge type of mode (forget what it's called and the manual is clear over by the TV) which seems to unlock various options and features as you go along so I'll be playing that through as well. That sort of incentive helps add to the fun of playing solo when the game, like all sports games, is really designed for 2-player action. So bottom line is - if you like the original NBA Jam then you should like this new one too and should go out and drop the fiddy on it like I did.  BOOMSHAKALAKA!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

4 comments:

Fallguy40 said...

NBA Elite sucked so bad that EA Sports has cancelled it completely.

Now if only someone would make an updated Hi Def online version of Cyberball.

MadPlanet said...

I thought I heard that Elite was cancelled altogether. That's a big who cares - nobody was going to buy that thing anyway at this point. I guess EA realized that. Hell yeah I'd buy an updated version of Cyberball - it would be perfect for online play and widescreen TVs would allow split screen play too.

gnome said...

I think I'll be waiting for Arch Rivals 2 instead, though I might just grab NBA Jam on the Wii. No online multiplayer you say? Hmmm...

MadPlanet said...

Ah - Arch Rivals. Another arcade classic. Ever try Pigskin 621 A.D.? It's like the Arch Rivals version of football - or rugby maybe so perhaps even more up your alley Gnome? But I digress. Jam on the Wii would still be a good play if you have someone to play against locally - the preferred method! For me a good indicator of a fun sports game is whether or not the excitement of a match prompts me to let the expletives fly - and this Jam has not disappointed in that category.